There are so many ailments that cannabis has successfully treated. We are just scratching the surface as to what this plant can do. Cannabis has over 100 cannabinoids that perform various functions. One cannabinoid in particular that has been a hot topic is Tetrahydrocannabivarin (THCV). Below we will explore this cannabinoid and how it is considered to be the next best thing.
What is THCV?
As there are more widespread support and acknowledgement about the potential of cannabis the more research and discoveries we will make. Now that Canada has legalized cannabis and the United States is on a brink of legalization, more doors will open. One discovery is that of THCV. This is a cannabinoid similar to that of THC and structurally THCV is similar to THC as shown below.
The structure of THCV.
- Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetrahydrocannabivarin
- The structure of THC.
THCV vs. THC – What is the Difference?
- The structural difference between THCV and THC molecules is that THCV has a propyl (3-carbon) side chain rather than a pentyl (5-carbon) group that THC has.
- It is psychoactive like THC but it does not last as long
- Does not stimulate appetite as THC does
- The boiling point of THC is 315 °F while the boiling point of THCV is 428 °F Important to understand when vaping.
What are the Benefits of THCV?
Research has shown that THCV is effective in the treatment of a variety of symptoms and conditions. Examples for which it is particularly effective in providing symptom relief are:
- Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (The feeling people describe when taking high strains are that is calming and relaxing which helps reduce stress and PTSD triggers)
- Panic Attacks
- Anxiety (Studies have found that it helps neutralize the flight or response system that occurs when experiencing anxiety and panic attacks)
- Alzheimer’s (It is a neuroprotective thus prevents early on set Alzheimer’s)
- Appetite Suppressant (For those looking to lose weight and maintain proper diet control)
- Reduction of blood sugar in diabetics (Particularly helpful for type 2 diabetics)
- Promotes bone growth (Ideal for those suffering from bone density issues and osteoporosis)
How Do you Get THCV?
To find out more, check out this great video that sums it up from WeedMaps.TV